You are here: MAPS
This is an extract from Christopher Greenwood's map of County Durham, published in 1820. There has been little industrial development around the lower reaches of the Tees at this stage whilst the opening of the Stockton and Darlington Railway is still five years away. The map offers a wonderfully detailed image of the area in the years before it was changed forever by the coming of large scale industry. An image of the Market Place at Stockton in 1825 provides period detail. This map is shown unmounted here but is also available mounted in either brown, olive or beige. Extracts from the map are also available - contact us for details.
This map of Old Cleveland c1827 shows the area as it was before the industrial development of the nineteenth century changed the landscape forever. With a local economy still based largely on agriculture, the main centres of population were the ports of Stockton and Hartlepool. Only an isolated farm stands on the site of modern day Middlesbrough. Stockton Racecourse stands on the site of the present day University. Note 'Jenny's Island' in the Tees near Portrack and the meander of the Tees already removed to shorten the journey up to Stockton. This map is shown in brown here but is available in olive or beige. It is also available with no mount so that the whole map extract fills the frame. Extracts from the map are also available - contact us for details.